After 4 years of harassment, Strippers fight back – Protest church

Source: Kyle Robertson - Dispatch

In one of those stories that just makes me smile, a group of strip-club dancers have turned the tides on church-goers bent on imposing their own morality on others.

For four years now, Pastor Bill Dunfee of New Beginnings Ministries and his congregation have been trying to shut down Ohio’s Foxhole strip-club by staging disruptive protests and generally harassing the establishment’s patrons.

Every weekend for the last four years, Dunfee and members of his ministry have stood watch over George’s joint, taking up residence in the right of way with signs, video cameras and bullhorns in hand. They videotape customers’ license plates and post them online, and they try to save the souls of anyone who comes and goes.

Now, fed up with the tactics of Dunfee and his flock, Foxhole employees are ready to accept the invitation to come to church… Dressed in their Sunday best skimpiness, the Foxhole dancers have started showing up every Sunday to do a little protesting themselves.

Via: Atheist Revolution

26 thoughts on “After 4 years of harassment, Strippers fight back – Protest church

1. vjack

Thanks for the H/T. I never get tired of hearing about that story. I’ve often wondered why churches are protested more often. Maybe that will be the next step in the evolution of the atheist movement.

2. James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil

The difference is, when the churches protest, it is fine because they are “serving god” by imposing their sick beliefs on everyone else and exercising their rights of freedom of speech. When anyone protest them, it’s wrong and must be evil and stopped. Freedom of speech isn’t something they want for anyone but themselves. So who is evil?

3. angryinadk

If the Muslim community center can’t be built near Ground zero, churches should not be able to build near playgrounds.

4. Ian Colley

Good for the Foxholers. I’m not interested in striptease, but after all, the girls are only uncovering what ‘god’ gave them, and according to what the old Jewish history book says, “man, [and woman of course], were made in his [or her!], image”.

What right have these believers in the supernatural to disrupt the peace with their nonsensical and offensive behaviour?

Are the local police force not interested in preserving law and order?

“fed up with the tactics of Dunfee and his flock” perhaps ‘tactics’ should read ‘antics’?

5. Mr. Pete

Well, if I have to explain it, it obviously fell flat. Sorry. The name of the strip club is Foxhole. I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly, that there are either atheists who frequent that establishment or who work there. Ergo, “foxhole atheists.” Fundies often claim that there are no “foxhole atheists” because once in the heat of battle all soldiers, metaphorically or otherwise, will turn to god.

1. Chad

I was in the army for six years and remained atheist. Logic and reason doesn’t go away when you get scared. I should know.

6. Ian Colley

Thankyou Mr. Pete,hadn’t heard the expression before I’m afraid, and was striving to make the connection.
    I would take issue with their ‘turning to god’ claim though, I reckon most atheists, myself included, being logical thinkers, would rely more on concealing than kneeling!

7. Mike

Mr. Pete

A foxhole isn’t an atheist term, it’s a military term for a little bunker like thing normally filled with a single person.

So I’m guessing that this strip club is normally frequented by military personnel.

8. Ian Colley

Mike,
    I already knew the meaning of a battlefield foxhole, Mr Pete was using the composite ‘foxhole atheists’ as a humorous take on the name of the club and the connection to the idiotic behaviour of the church. As I hadn’t come across this term previously, I queried it, and he explained.
    Sorry Mr. Pete, I seem to have spoiled your excellent quip!

9. Mr. Pete

Okay, I think the name “Foxhole” is as a bawdy innuendo; “fox” meaning a woman of desirable physical attributes or appearance, and “hole” as in an orifice. This is the meaning which I understand it to be. However, quite possibly this establishment is located near a military base, as it seems the country is teeming with them, being only outnumbered by churches.
    I also think we’re over-thinking this.

10. Pat

I totally agree with the stippers protesting the churches. However, Isnt the aethist movement no different than a religion. I mean besides the fact that one side would believe in god and the other doesnt. I’m not some God-fearing chritian or anything, hell I dont believe in god myself but making a movement out of it is imposing ideas on other people that can not be 100% proven just like religion does. I’m not attacking the movement, I’m just saying why make a movement out of it, thats seems just like something a religion would do? No one is right nor wrong with what they believe, just opinionated. Simply because a belief is not a fact.

11. Mr. Pete

@Pat,
    I’m not sure that there’s much of an organized movement as such. Of course there are websites, blogs, protests, lawsuits, etc., but I’m not sure of any really organized group. The ACLU is not an atheist organization and has protected christians many times in their history. There used to be the American Atheist Organization but I’m not sure what happened to that. I’ve been an avowed atheist for 30+ years and have never joined anything. The joke goes: “A bunch of atheists got together and talked about nothing.”
    Anyway, what I think we’re seeing is akin to the Gay movement from the 60’s to the current time, where gays were afraid to come out because of persecution and discrimination towards them. Some atheists are at that point, tired of not being able to speak up when the First Amendment is violated, or when they feel that religion is forced on them. Think of it as pushing back.
    As to whether beliefs can be right or wrong, apply that to what Nazis thought. They thought it was okay to exterminate entire races in order to make their world “pure.” Is that belief right or wrong? Opinions can be wrong, demonstrably so, as in the case of Flat Earthers or Creationists.

12. James Smith João Pessoa, Brazil

@ Pat “The atheist movement is no different from a religion?” Then not going to football games is a hobby?

“Imposing their ideas on other people?” What atheist has ever done that? You mistake requesting that theists do not force their ideas on others as forcing atheism om theists.

If it were a “movement” it would be politically more powerful than gays or Latinos. If there were an organized atheists movement, it would control more votes than either of these groups and would soon put a stop to the free ride theists have secured for themselves.

What theism is at this point is a lot of people saying, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more.” Maybe in another 30 years, it will be organized and able to demand justice. For now, were not even joining hands to sing “I shall overcome.”

13. Pat

@ Mr. Pete: I understand what the gay rights movement is about, I’m an advocate for gay rights. Most people would consider me an atheist also, however I chose not to go by labels (just a personal decision). But comparing what I said about the relativity of opinions doesnt back up whether you can prove if God exists or not. Simply you can ask a holocaust survivor how he or she felt when they were locked up in a concentration camp to get the simple answer of what one thinks would be right in that situation, but you can’t ask a dead person what happens when you die or talk to God. What I meant was that in that specific example of the belief in or not in a God. All I was doing was gaining insight, which is what James Smith did with the comment below yours. I was just looking into something that originally looked sketch. I see that it is not, but I am a skeptic so I question everything, even if it seems to align with my same beliefs and view points because thats what I encourage everyone to do. Thats how many people become atheists.

14. Christopher Post author

I’m so glad this is creating such great discussion.

My opinions on the ‘label’ of Atheism…

As a literal person… I tend to view atheism in its most sincere form, “not theism” … in that sense, atheism is a religion in the same way OFF is a TV channel. If you don’t have a theistic belief, you are ‘not theist’ or Atheist. Just like asymmetry is ‘not’ another form of symmetry.

I don’t think we should veer away from a word just because its been given a bad rep. or has been used in bad contexts. The word is what it is and it has a very clear meaning. All newborn babies are atheists until they are introduced to the concept of theistic beliefs.

When someone tries to tell me ‘Atheists are so and so’ or ‘Atheists believe this or that’ … I try to remind them that there’s a difference between A-theism and Anti-theism. Although many atheists are anti-theists, I think it’s important to draw that line and remind them of the difference. I’m very much against religion, but I’m also a very skeptical person and as such, I have to recognize that the discussion is always open to new evidence and ideas. But until such evidence comes forward to convince me in a supernatural entity, I remain A-theistic.

15. jake

I’ve had some good times at the foxhole, cant say I’ve ever had a good time at a church though lol. the irony of this is that the foxhole is in an old church

16. Ian Colley

Nice to see this thread is is still extant, is the protest still in operation, or have the god-botherers decided to leave the foxholers to their harmless and may I say, ‘natural entertainment’?
    I wish I weren’t stuck over here in England, I’d love to join that unrepentent Jake.
    How about some new pics of the protest? Send them to me at out_of_the_box@inbox.com
    Regards, Ian C.